Monday, December 17, 2007

Prologue: Pheeliz

Ever since I was a little kid, I knew I had true skill. With ordinary features, I wouldn't've needed them, but I've got my dad's eyes, and there aren't too many little boys with bright blue eyes and dark curly hair running around. So, being a distinctive looking little brat, I had to have skill to survive. Of course, it did help that my mom's got enough gypsy blood that her wanderlust is stronger than any normal thief, and we never stayed in one city for longer than two months anyway.

Well, until my grandmother died that is. I'd just been nominated for full membership within Mom's guild on base of merit, as I'd been bringing in a reasonable amount of money for an adult house-thief, and an altogether ridiculous amount for a ten year old pickpocket. The lifting lay's a dangerous one, but it pays well if you've got the sort of skill I have. Anyway, when grandmother died, Mom inherited the small share of Guild land grandmother had been living on, and was obligated by grandmother's will to tend to it. The piece of paper claimed it was for my good, to have a normal childhood even if I was a proper member of the Guild already.

I remember being so pissed off at first. If Mom's gypsy blood hadn't been enough, our way of life had certainly given me the wanderlust at least as bad, and being tied to one place seemed a mighty burden.

I wasn't too far off, but I found ways to entertain myself. Of course, now that I'm old enough to chose between Knighthood and going straight into serving the Guild, I've been looking at ways to get into the Royal University. And by looking at ways, I mean tricking one of the higher land owners. See, I pick up their mail sometimes, so that they don't have to spend a day going to the city, and I lifted his acceptance letter. Dummy got another one on the same day for a similarly prestigious school anyway, so's not as if he'll miss it.

So on someone else's exam scores, I've gotten myself in. In and out of this cage that's been killing my Mom for the last eight years. And when I'm a proper Knight on a stolen scholarship, I'll release her from the will's contract by submitting the land as forfeit to some Lady of the Court, letting Mom get back to the Guild as she should be.

No comments: