Sunday, December 23, 2007

3.3 Braedin

I hadn't realized how quickly one's dreams and plans could be derailed. I didn't know how to react to the instinctual draw I had to my roommate. It wasn't right. I shouldn't be feeling like that for him. I was above him.

His family was only from the Seventh Province. The seventh. They didn't even rank a seat on the Royal Council. And Kiplin? Kiplin? What sort of name was that? It certainly wasn't his family name. The Seventh Province has no Kiplins. I'd been forced to memorize surnames and genealogies of all the major families of Aegea. So it was either a family nickname, or a first name.

The O'Sheas are far above that. Far, far above. We run the Third Province. The other families of our region defer to us. My mother is the most elegant and powerful Lady I've met to this day. None compare, and none will.

I was simply above this roommate of mine, and thus should not have cared that he had a disarming smile. I shouldn't have craved his friendship so immediately after meeting him, and he should not have been able to get so close to me without any serious reaction. I was above him, and my innate interest unnerved me. It was not alright, and living with him could not be allowed to lead to my slumming.

Perhaps I'm a snob, but when your family has as much power as mine, does it really matter?

No comments: