Sunday, December 16, 2007

Prologue: Braedin

Growing up, I always knew that I was superior. It wasn't just a feeling, it was a fact. The O'Shea family- my family- was one of the greatest families in the Realm. My family had a seat in the Royal Council. My mother had been a premier Lady of the Court before her marriage, my father her devoted Knight. My twin sister Emilie was the belle of the ball, promising to become great, perhaps the next Queen.

I had a plan, a great one- I was going to surpass my sister, become the greatest O'Shea yet. I would make a name for myself as an academic and a Knight by attending the Royal University. Perhaps I would, along the way, capture the heart of the infamous Princess Naomi. In my dreams, all was possible, and I was well on my way to a greater Kingship than anyone had known before.

The first step, however, was a difficult one. The exams for the Royal University were vigorous, and though the right connections could be used to help me skirt around them, I had every intent of doing this on my own power. I didn't want there to be a chance for doubt when I used this as my foundation for future conquests. Of course, with 17 years of study behind me, the exams I took on my 18th birthday were simple, and I was accepted unconditionally.

I had great plans, and with this step behind me, nothing was going to stop me.

No comments: